Who can apply?
Any Butler County business, government entity, non-profit organization or educational institution is eligible. Grant funds can be used to implement a new recycling program or improve an existing program and support long-term recycling goals.
Apply for grant funds to subsidize the cost of:
• Recycling equipment, e.g. small bins, large recycling "dumpsters," etc.
• Recycling pick up services
• Promotional and advertising materials to support your recycling program
When can my organization apply?
Applications for the 2019 grant program will be accepted for consideration year round.
How much funding is available?
Grant awards range from $250 up to $4,000. Overall, the District awards $20,000 in total funding.
How much is my organization required to match?
Applicants must be able to match each dollar of grant funding with $0.25 worth of cash or directly related cash valued services.
Who has received grant awards in the past?
Past recycling grant award recipients include:
Pacific Manufacturing, Barnes Aerospace, Baker Concrete, College Suites Apartments, Fort Hamilton Hospital, The Fischer Group, Jags Steak and Seafood Restaurant, McCullough Hyde Memorial Hospital, Mercy Health Partners of Southwest Ohio, Hamilton Caster, Tedia, Miller Coors, Deceuninck North America, Valeo. and ThyssenKrupp Bilstein
City of Hamilton, city of Monroe, city of Oxford and Keep Middletown Beautiful
Catholic Charities, Colonial Inc., Fitton Center for Creative Arts, Indian Ridge Condominium Association, Lakota Sports Organization (LSO), Partners in Prime, YMCA-Camp Campbell Gard and YWCA of Hamilton
Badin High School, Fairfield City School District, Hamilton City School District, Middletown City School District, Ross School District, St. Joseph Consolidated School, Sacred Heart, Mother Teresa, Talawanda School District, Lakota School District. Edgewood School District, Monroe School District, Miami University.
How are grant proposals evaluated?
All programs and activities conducted with grant dollars must support long-term goals of waste reduction and recycling. The District will give priority for grant funding based on funding need; strategies for success; attempts to enlist new waste reduction and recycling behavior; ability to complete sustainable program objectives in cost-effective manner; and the means and mechanisms for quantifying and measuring waste reduction/recycling from funded program activity.
If my organization is awarded grant monies, how will the funds be allocated?
Grant funds are typically allocated on a 60/40 percent basis with 60 percent of the total award disbursed in March; the remaining 40 percent is allocated in August and is contingent upon a review of each grantee's mid-year progress report.
Are there other recycling grants available?
YES. Ohio EPA is accepting applications for Recycling & Litter Prevention grants. Grant funding is targeted at Ohio's local governments, colleges and universities, solid waste management districts/authorities, health districts, soil & water conservation districts and private sector businesses for a variety of recycling, litter clean up, market development and scrap tire management projects. Grant applications for all four programs are due February 2019. Visit
for more information.
Who do I contact if I have a question?
Contact Solid Waste District Coordinator Anne Fiehrer Flaig at (513) 887-3963 or email FiehrerFlaigEA@butlercountyohio.org.